Order of the Arrow – Ni-Sanak-Tani Lodge

The Order of the Arrow (OA) was founded by Dr. E. Urner Goodman and Carroll A. Edson in 1915 at the Treasure Island Camp of the Philadelphia Council, Boy Scouts of America. It became an official program experiment in 1922 and was approved as part of the Scouting program in 1934. In 1948 the OA, recognized as the BSA’s national brotherhood of honor campers, became an official part of the national camping program of the Boy Scouts of America.

OA Basics

The Order of the Arrow is Scouting’s National Honor Camping Society.


The purpose of the Order of the Arrow is fourfold:

  • To recognize those Scout campers who best exemplify the Scout Oath and Law in their daily lives.
  • To develop and maintain camping traditions and spirit.
  • To promote Scout camping.
  • To crystallize the Scout habit of helpfulness into a life purpose of leadership in cheerful service to others.


Ni-Sanak-Tani Lodge 381 was founded in 1947 as the Braves of Decorah.  The Lodge name was changed in 1995 to the “place where three rivers meet”.

Have a look at the information for Ni-Sanak-Tani, Lodge 381: